26 August 2014

Top Ten Tuesday #17 :Films I Never Knew Were Books (until after they came out)



Top Ten Tuesday is a Meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish where I will be picking from their top tens and attempting to reveal what my thinking is behind these choices.

Maybe I am clueless, maybe I was just too young to remember the book coming out and making a splash, or maybe too old? Some of  this I am ashamed of, some of this you might not even know.

1. I Am Legend - Richard Matheson
To be honest, I have seen this film once and I thought it was alright, but Will Smith has done better.
I Am Legend on IMDB

2. Twilight - Stephanie Meyer
How could we not know about this one now? I was entirely clueless about the books when I watched  the first film though, and only read the series afterwards.
Twilight on IMDB

3. John Carter (A Princess of Mars - Edgar Rice Boroughs)

I happily watched the sci-fi adventure made by Disney impervious to the fact that it was thought-up by a writer years ago. It was only after an older fantasy fan said something that i looked up the books.
John Carter on IMDB

4. How To Train Your Dragon - Cressida Cowell
Yes, there are in fact 11 main books to this children's series. Now, I adore the film and I think it might be unfair on the book if I ever read them. I've heard that they are very much different.
How To Train Your Dragon on IMDB
5. Jurassic Park - Michael Crichton
Three years before this classic dinosaur movie was released, this book came out. I had no idea until recently.
Jurassic Park on IMDB

6. Shrek - William Steig
Another classic kids movie taken from a book. The movie is, again, very loosely based in the book, playing with the characters and the story. I think the same goes, I don't want to read the original for fear of hating it.
Shrek on IMDB

7. Slumdog Millionaire - Q&A - Vikas Swarup
There was a whole lot of hype for this film, but I never once saw anything about it being an adaptation until waaay after I saw the film.
Slimdog Millionaire on IMDB

8. Stardust - Neil Gaiman
I loved the film, and shortly afterwards I also fell in love with Neil Gaiman's writing style and his strange sense of creepy fantasy. Such a good writer, and such a good film, if it is rather different from the book, the fairytale elements are all still there.
Stardust on IMDB

9. The Shawshank Redemption (Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption) - Stephen King
I never knew this amazing film was really a book by this great writer until my boyfriend told me not that long ago. Shame on me.
The Shawshank Redemption on IMDB

10. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
I know. How could I? But I am afraid it is true, I honestly didn't know the movie (the one starring Martin Freeman) was actually a TV series remake, let alone an adaptation.
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy on IMDB

Bonus!
11. The Walking Dead - Robert Kirkman
This TV series actually started out life as a graphic novel. I'm not so sure I would want to read that...
The Walking Dead on IMDB

12. Disney.
They love their adaptations! 101 Dalmations, Bambi,  Mary Poppins, Alice in Wonderland, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Peter Pan, Winnie-the-Pooh, Chronicles of Narnia, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Oliver Twist (Oliver and Company), Basil The Great Mouse Detective (Basil of Baker Street), Treasure Planet (Treasure Island), The Jungle Book. I could go on and on about all the adaptations Disney have made. For an extensive list, go here.

Kyrax

No comments:

Post a Comment