20 July 2011

The Prince of Mist - Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Carlos Ruiz Zafon is a master storyteller whose other works (The Shadow of the Wind and The Angel's Game) have enthralled me with their strange and surreal events.

The Prince of Mist is rather a lot smaller than it's predecessors, but it really packs a punch. It is perfect for those of you who want to read this author but haven't got the heart to try to read the somewhat more hefty books. It is a ghostly tale told around a peaceful looking village on the coast and its disturbing past.

This book isn't one for the faint hearted either. While it isn't your utterly terrifying Stephen King novel, it is quite an eerie and suspenseful read. I love the way that all the components of the story come together in a brilliant ending.

The book certainly knew how to wow me, and although it was shorter than my usual read, I felt it was equally as good. Given that this was a book for young adults, I think it did it's job well, without giving me nightmares about clowns and sunken ships. The feel of suspense as well as the haunting character of the Prince of Mist is genius.

The characters were good, and given that there was not too many pages, I feel that their fears and feelings were very well written. They each had very separate personalities, which I think is very important in any book.

I really commend Zafon's other works, and this is no exception to the rule. If you love ghost stories, or just an exciting read in a small package, then this is the book for you. This deserves a 9.5 out of 10. The only criticism I give it is that I wish it had been longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment