30 April 2012

Avengers: Assemble (The Avengers) (2012)

This film is based on Marvels comic: The Avengers, and sees our more well-known heroes - The Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), Iron Man (Robert Downey Jnr), Thor (Chris Hemsworth) and Captain America (Chris Evans) team up with The Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) and Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) to fight against and intergalactic invasion. At the forefront of this plan is Loki (Tom Hiddleston), Thor's adopted brother, who we last saw falling into space after the Bifrost was destroyed (luckily Odin was able to send Thor back to earth for this film).

Unfortunately as I have not read the comic books, I have absolutely no idea if the film is in any way relevant to the comics, but I hope so. There's nothing better than seeing a good film adaptation of something you already love.

The most impressive part of this film is that way that the plot ties in nicely with the other films, particularly with Thor (2011) and Captain America (2011) (and so I've been told, Iron Man 2) - the most recent ones to join the Marvel film collection. But this story has been building for a while now, ever since we first saw a S.H.I.E.L.D. worker and Nick Fury back in Iron Man (2008). We've seen enticing clips of Mr Fury ever since and have been dying to know what it all culminates into. Speaking of the Marvel collection, I also think that the references given to them are very good, and the combination of the characters is actually nicely realistic. After all, you can't have too many ego's in one room without someone having a clash.

Another good thing about the film is the way that it is not all action. Mind games are afoot, and the characters display a nice wittiness - something you don't see in the likes of the recent Batman movies. Iron Man s a particularly good source of laughter. I love his utter frankness. But I have to say that everyone has their moment.

Of course, the action is great. the special effects are faultless as far as I could see. The 3D was realistic and didn't ruin it for me - something that can happen if the fighting is too dense or if the shots are too fast in my case. But I really do admire the acting. After all, they do have a stellar cast with many accomplishments and credits to their names. The story gripped me enough, but I think it was the acting that really brought it to life and made me care. I don't even know who to credit as the best.

One bad note that i feel should be addressed: the actual story. In its most basic sense, it comprises of one of the most generic plots. The aliens are invading earth and the earth people need to defend it. BORING. But shove a group very skilled and super-powered people into the mix (and a couple of Gods) and you've got a hit. The film manages to carry off the storyline with a lot of back story.. not just your typical invasion after all.

This film deserves a 9 out of 10. I still prefer Captain America.


No comments:

Post a Comment