27 May 2014

Top Ten Tuesday #7 - Childhood Favourites




1. Harry Potter - J.K. Rowling
This has been a part of my life ever since I can remember, and it also was a great way to introduce kids to fantasy reading, which I obviously approve of.

2. The Witches - Roald Dahl
Anything by Roald Dahl was practically absorbed by me; I lived to read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, or Georges Marvellous Medicine, or The Twits, but somehow The Witches always won hands down. I loved the idea that witches could be lurking anywhere, and that they could be outwitted by a grandmother and a little boy.

3. The Narnia Series - C.S. Lewis
I got this series as a present when I was young; a box-set with each book beautifully illustrated, and I read them all. But throughout I was always drawn to The Silver Chair, and I'm fairly peeved that there hasn't been any announcements for it to be made into a film. One day, someone will make every one of them into a good live action film, and on that day I will be very happy.

4. His Dark Material Series - Philip Pullman
Still one of my favourite triologies in the universe. It's fantasy, it's reality, it's sci-fi, and it's complicated, with hints of religion, life and death, love... everything I love. These books raised the bar for me in terms of reading, and I don't think I've ever looked back.

5. Dr Xargle - Jeanne Willis
I have very fond memories of flicking through a couple of these books with my sister and my mum, giggling away at their ridiculousness. Even now, I want to open it up and see what the aliens think about our planet.

6. Goosebumps (not to mention the TV show) - R.L Stine
We had a couple of these books, and they scared the hell out of me, but I read it anyway. What really got me was the TV show, which I watched religiously with my sister.

7. Famous Five - Enid Blyton
Honestly, I can remember reading these books and loving them, but for some reason now I can't remember them very well. I think this calls for a re-read at some stage.

8. The Very Hungry Caterpillar - Eric Carle
This book is so classic. I remember reading it cover to cover, anticipating when it would turn into a beautiful butterfly. The book is still such a vivid memory.

9. Where's Wally? (That may be Where's Waldo for you) - Martin Handford
I never owned a Where's Wally book, but I always wanted one. Every time someone would get it out, or I would spot it at a friend's house, I would pretty much force them to do it with me. I think I still need a copy or two.

10. Elmer - David McKee
About a patchwork elephant who wants to fit in, but always sticks out thanks to his colourful exterior. It taught me that it's OK to be different, and I did love that elephant.

No comments:

Post a Comment