7 May 2014

Wednesday Wishlist #5



This week the wishlist has been taken over by Norse mythology. It all started with Percy Jackson and his Greek mythology, but then I found out Joanne Harris had released a Norse YA, Runemarks, and I had to read it (it was great). So of course it goes without saying that there is a sequel;

Runelight - Joanne Harris
The second book to the awesome Runemarks. Harris has left a lot open for this book; there are plenty of threads dangling, and although I may have to pick up the first one again before I immerse myself by into that post-Ragnarok world, I have a feeling it won't be too difficult to get back into.

The Gospel of Loki - Joanne Harris
A more adult take on Norse mythology by this bestselling writer, taking on the voice of the trickster God, Loki and giving his account of everything that happened before, during and after the fall of Asgard. This is going to be a great read, because Loki is by far the most interesting and (probably) misunderstood of all the Norse Gods. I mean, have you seen him in the Marvel movies? He's brilliant (thank you Tom Hiddleston for playing him so well).

The Woken Gods - Gwenda Bond
Ok, so this book has more of a mixed mythology, but I'm pretty sure there must be some Norse in there with the mention of Trickster Gods. So all the Gods from ancient mythology have awakened and Kyra (yeah, I know, she has my name!) is right in the middle of it, in Washington D.C. where all the pantheons of the Gods have settled, and where a mysterious society lurks, keeping God-human relations in check. After encountering two trickster Gods and narrowly escaping, Kyra is forced to go on a quest to find a missing Egyptian relic that her father stole, even though she has no idea where it is. Sounds intriguing, but it has a lot of mixed reviews, so I'll have to find out for myself!

Have you read any of these books and what did you think of them?

No comments:

Post a Comment