17 October 2014

Mini Review: Pompeii - Film

Pompeii - A Quick History Lesson: 

The city of Pompeii was an ancient Roman site near Naples that was mostly destroyed when Mount Vesuvius erupted in 79 AD. The population was 11,000, and most of them did not survive, having been blasted by heat at 250 degrees Celsius and being killed instantly.

The Good:
  • Kit Harington is really good, and I love that Emily Browning was there too. Oh! Emily Browning's parents are some pretty big names too, so watch out for them.
  • The film ties in with what many already know about Ancient Rome. The gladiators being slaves and seeking their freedom by fighting their way to it is a fairly well trodden path. I liked how this was incorporated in the film to create a background for our protagonist and supporting characters.
  • Absolutely full of action, the fight scenes are great.
  • Nice bit of romance and a nice little friendship between gladiators.
  • Realistic as far as I know, in terms of how the people reacted (by fleeing to the port) and as to how long the eruption would have taken.
The Bad:
  • The ending! Maybe slightly too realistic, and that is all I can say.
  • Some of the effects (take the chariot chase scene) ended up looking like a video game.. but not state of the art.
  • A lot of people die. I mean, I expected it, but they do kill off some great characters.
Overall:

Really watchable and really enjoyable. I will be watching this again soon, I can tell! 
Kyrax

No comments:

Post a Comment